A recall allows voters to remove an elected official through a direct vote before the official’s term has ended.

The Contra Costa Elections Division administers the recall of an elected County Official, Superior Court Judge, or the board member of a County Board of Education, Community College District, School District, or Special District. Learn more about the process in the Guide for Recalls.

For information on recalling elected State Officials, visit Secretary of State’s website.

For information on recalling elected city officials, contact the City Clerk directly.

Any person or group desiring to recall an elected official is strongly advised to contact private legal counsel for advice on the process.