You can choose to vote by mail prior to the election. You can become a permanent Vote By Mail voter by completing the Online Registration Form.
Becoming a Vote By Mail Voter
As a voter you may get a Vote by Mail ballot every election by:
- Completing the Online Registration Form and selecting “Yes” in the Vote By Mail box to receive a Vote By Mail ballot for every election.
- Requesting in writing to the Contra Costa Election Division to be designated as a Permanent Vote By Mail voter. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, address, mailing address if different from your residence address, and signature.
You may request a one-time Vote By Mail ballot by:
- Sending us an email to email@example.com to request a one-time change. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, address, mailing address if it is different, and the date of the election.
- Completing the Vote By Mail request form that is included in the back of your Voter Information Guide.
How to Return Your Ballot
Approximately two to four weeks before the election, you will receive an official ballot. Return your ballot in the envelope enclosed. Be sure to sign and write your address on the return envelope. Without your signature the ballot cannot be counted. Return instructions will be enclosed.
You can return your Vote By Mail ballot by:
- Mailing it days ahead of Election Day. The ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received within three days of the Election to be considered timely.
- Returning your ballot at any of the CoCo Vote-N-Go drop off locations.
- Returning the ballot to any polling place within the county on Election Day. Your ballot needs to be sealed inside the return envelope.
Damaged or Lost Ballots
If you damage, lose, or make a mistake in marking your ballot, let us know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a replacement. Be sure to include your name, date of birth, and address. You can also call our office at (925) 335-7800 and request another ballot.
Mandatory Vote By Mail
If you live in a precinct which has less than 250 voters, you and all the voters in your precinct may be sent a Vote By Mail ballot. For this type of ballot, you will receive a postage paid envelope in which to return your ballot. This ballot must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received within three days of the Election to be considered timely.