Financial Disclosure Information

To file financial reports with Contra Costa County, please go to the Filer Portal webpage.

Candidates, proponents or opponents of a local measure or state proposition must file financial reports concerning contributions received and expenditures made in accordance with the Political Reform Act of 1974 and its amendments.

Campaign Finance, Reporting Requirements
The Political Reform Act of 1974* is the state law governing campaign finances and spending, lobbying, conflicts of interest, gift limits, and post-government employment restrictions. As amended, it requires all candidates for elective office, all elected officeholders, and all committees supporting or opposing candidates or measures to file campaign disclosure statements listing contributions received and expenditures made.

Contribution Limits for county offices and the Board of Supervisors are set by the County Election Campaign Ordinance (Title 5, Chapter 530, Division 2 Fair Campaigns).

*Note: The Political Reform Act is administered and enforced by the California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC). If you have a specific question about how the Political Reform Act, you should consult FPPC and your legal counsel. You can contact the FPPC by telephone or send your request in writing.

Campaign Disclosure Forms
The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) provides Campaign Disclosure Manuals for candidates and committees. It is strongly recommended that you review the FPPC Campaign Disclosure Manuals and contact the FPPC with any questions regarding the filing of the forms and different schedules.

Here is a Financial Forms Flow Chart and below is a brief description of the most commonly used forms.

Candidate Intention Statement (Form 501)
Before any funds are solicited or any contributions (including loans) are received, a campaign bank account must be established and FPPC Candidate Intention Statement Form 501 must be filed with the appropriate filing official. This form announces the candidate’s intention to run for office.

Exception: Form 501 is not required to be filed by candidates who do not intend to receive any contributions or loans, and the only expenditures from personal funds would be for payment of the filing fee and State of Qualifications (candidate statement).

Statement of Organization (Form 410)
All candidates and committees supporting or opposing measures, raising and/or spending $1,000 or more must file FPPC Statement of Organization Form 410 within 10 days of receiving $1,000 or more, with the Secretary of State’s Political Reform Division, to disclose campaign bank account information and to receive a campaign committee identification number.

Officeholder and Candidate Campaign Statement Short Form (Form 470)
Candidates who do not anticipate spending or receiving over $1,000 during the calendar year, and do not have a controlled committee, may file FPPC Officeholder and Candidate Campaign Statement Short Form 470. Payments from the candidate’s personal funds used to pay filing or statement of qualifications fees do not count toward the $1,000 threshold. However, if after filing the Form 470, $1,000 or more is received or spent, the Form 470 Supplement or other written notice must be filed within 48-hours of receiving or spending $1,000 or more. The notification is sent to, 1) Secretary of State; 2) Each candidate seeking the same office; 3) Filing Official (i.e. county candidates file online with local Registrar of Voters).

Recipient Committee Campaign Statement (Form 460)
Candidate controlled committees, committees supporting or opposing measures and officeholders who raise or spend $1,000 or more in a calendar year must file a Form 460 to report campaign activity for all semi-annual, pre-election and supplemental pre-election statements. Form 460 must be filed on a semi-annual basis until the committee terminates.

For a complete list of forms and Campaign Disclosure Manuals, visit the FPPC webpage.

Federal Campaign Finance Laws
Candidates for Federal Office, any group or organization that becomes a political committee supporting or opposing one or more candidates for Federal Office are subject to the provisions of the Federal Campaign Finance Laws.

If you are a candidate for Federal Office, or are anticipating running for Federal Office, call the Federal Elections Commission (FEC) at (800) 424-9530.

When and Where to File
Most campaign committees file two semi-annual statements each year. When an individual is listed on a ballot, and when a committee is raising or spending money in connection with an election, pre-election statements also are required. To view the most current filing deadline schedules click here.

Filing after a deadline may lead to late filing penalties of $10 for each day the statement is late. Except where noted, statements must be filed online, by the due date.

File with the Contra County Registrar of Voters office if you are a candidate, committee, or board member of a Fire District, School District, Water District, Community Services District or County offices (i.e. Assessor, District Attorney.) Candidates, officeholders, and committees for City Office file with the appropriate City Clerk. Candidates for State office file with the Secretary of State’s office.

The Secretary of State (SOS) provides a comprehensive list for candidates of Where to File Campaign Financial Disclosure Statements.

It is the responsibility of the candidate and/or committee to be aware of and to file the required campaign disclosure statements in a correct and timely manner.

Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700)
Form 700 – Candidates
Pursuant to Government Code Section 87200-01, every candidate for an office specified below shall file by the final filing date of a declaration of candidacy, a statement disclosing their investments and their interests in real property, and income received during the immediately preceding 12 months.

State Offices

  • Governor
  • Lieutenant Governor
  • Attorney General
  • Controller
  • Insurance Commissioner
  • Secretary of State
  • Treasurer
  • Members of the State Legislature
  • Superintendent of Public Instruction
  • State Board of Equalization Members

Judicial Offices

  • Superior Court Judges

County and City Offices

  • Members of Boards of Supervisors
  • Mayors and Members of City Councils
  • District Attorney
  • County and City Treasurers
  • County Board of Education
  • School Districts
  • Special Districts (i.e. Fire, Water, Community Services Districts)

For more information and a complete list of offices that must file online, view the Form 700 Reference Pamphlet.

The Form 700 shall not be required if the candidate has filed, within 60 days prior to the filing of his or her declaration of candidacy, a statement for the same jurisdiction pursuant to Government Code Section 87202 or 87203.

Candidates and/or Officeholders of City Offices must contact their appropriate City Clerk for more information regarding the filing of the Statement of Economic Interests Form 700.

Form 700 – Annual Filers
The following officeholders are required to file online a Form 700 annually with the Contra Costa County Clerk-Recorder- Elections Department.

  • County Administrator
  • District Attorney
  • County Counsel
  • County Treasurer
  • Member, Board of Supervisors
  • County Planning Commissioners
  • County Retirement Board
  • Contra Costa First 5 Children and Families Commission
Additional Information
Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC)
Advice line: (866) 275-3772
Email your questions to FPPC at:

Secretary of State’s Political Reform Division
Phone number: (916) 653-6224

Federal Elections Commission
Toll free number: (800) 424-9530

Contra Costa County Election Division
Phone number: (925) 335-7800
Toll free number: (877) 335-7802